Island Storm News


Storm drop top-placed Hurricanes in OT thriller

Released: April 20, 2017

Story by Carson Deveau

The Island Storm take down the first-place Halifax Hurricanes 115-114 in an overtime thriller in their final home game of the regular season.

The Storm got off to a hot start and found themselves up 9-4 early in the first quarter.

But the first-place Hurricanes didn’t back down, and battled back hard throughout the quarter. They closed the gap to two, 23-21, at the end of the first.

In the second quarter, the Storm were able to gain some separation, behind Terry Thomas’s 17 first-half points, and took a 51-43 lead going into halftime.

But, just as they did in the first quarter, the Hurricanes battled back coming out of halftime.

Halifax dominated the third quarter on both ends of the floor, outscoring the Storm 39-18 in the frame, and took an 82-69 lead going into the fourth.

The Storm didn’t give up in the final quarter, and were able to cut Halifax’s lead down to three with 4:36 remaining.

After Jahii Carson got a layup to fall, the Storm tied the game with 4:09 left. From there, the two teams battled back-and-forth, each trading buckets till the very end. The Hurricanes took a two point lead, 104-102, with under 30 seconds to go, but a timely steal from Carson led to an easy layup for Terry Thomas, which tied the game with 18.5 seconds left.

The Hurricanes missed their final shot, which meant the two teams were headed to overtime.

The Storm started overtime hot, and took a 112-108 lead with 1:38 left in the extra frame.

Halifax came back, though, and took a 114-113 lead with under 20 seconds left.

Carson was fouled on the Storm’s next possession, sending him to the line for two free-throws. He got them both to drop, sealing a 115-114 victory for the Storm.

Akeem Ellis led the way for the Storm with 30 points, Thomas (28p) and Carson (23p) were also huge contributors.


© Copyright 2013 NBL Canada. All Rights Reserved.
A rave7 Implementation By Wadetech